Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Afterlife-All for None and None for All

If you wait for perfect conditions, they'll never come.

That must have been what Afterlife-Andrew Staley, lead vocals; Rob Ruddick, guitar; Sam Keys, bass; and Scott Fugate, drums-thought when they made All for None and None for All


Andrew Staley, lead vocals; Sam Keys, bass; Rob Ruddick; and Scott Fugate, drums


There's nothing like starting off the first song on a CD with the words, "I didn't mean to crash your party just before it started," as heard in "Out of Place."  I dare say Billy Joel's opening line of "You May Be Right" paled in comparison.  There might even me an underlying dry sense of humor in it.

In all seriousness, Staley's vocals are phenomenal at setting the tone to every song.  And every one of them has a different tone and theme.  For example, in finding out about this CD, I heard "What if You Were Like Me?" and learned about the story behind it.  It is an autobiographical song about a disabled child of one of the band members. 

Conversely, there are some one here that are so hard, dark, and cryptic you may need to listen to them with the lights on, including but not limited to "Wake Up Screaming," "My Nine," and "Forever Night".  My favorite one on there is "Wake Up Screaming."  I believe this will define the new Afterlife.  Screaming?  I was salivating, mesmerized at Robert's guitar intro.  I may sound selfish when I say this, but I wish it had been longer, just for the sake of continuity, and to add some suspense to the song.  If knowledge serves me correctly, Ruddick doesn't play on all of these tracks.  In "Wake Up Screaming," he really reveals his talent.  Last but not least, another notable opening line:  "You wake up in a sweat." 

So, I hope you, yourself, are in a salivating sweat listening to All for None and None for All.






No comments:

Post a Comment