Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Station at the The Forum

"They're old-school rock."

If I heard that once, I must have heard it a hundred times over the past few years.  Out of those hundred-odd bands whose music I listened to, I must have felt, heard that "old-school" aspect of their music in a small fraction of it.

The 101st band {laughs} on that old school rock-sounding list is Station, from New York City.  Not only do they sound old school, but they look it, too.  Lead singer Patrick's Coverdale/Squire/Plant-esque on-stage charisma, and his long, big curly hair; lead guitarist Chris' equally big, long hair; and the decided glam/medloic rock-style feel of the lyrics are just a few of many things I noticed in my front-row seat at the Forum in Hazard, Kentucky.  



To be quite honest, I felt like I was sitting watching a new garage band rehearse...and I was the girlfriend of one of the band members.  Whose, I will plead the fifth on that.  Nonetheless, I had a chance to live out something I never did in my teen years.

The one song that stood out from all the rest-what I call the epitome of this old-school scheme-is "Are You Sleeping Alone?".  My thought is if this song were around in the mid to late 80s, this would have made a "power ballad" compilation CD.

For anyone who has the privilege of seeing them in the near future, make a mental list of all of the 70s and 80s rock influences you hear in their music.  I'll start:  Whitesnake, Led Zeppelin, Foreigner, Guardian, Billy Squier....Your turn.  And....GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment