Saturday, September 1, 2018

Kip Winger at the Square Room

Knoxville, Tennessee, has welcomed many celebrities over the past several decades. Sometimes, it's a big deal when their tour includes a stop here. This lively town now has now added another rock legend to that list: Kip Winger.

Who would have ever thought that the same guy, who, with his piercing blue eyes, leather, and fringe, unashamedly sang late '80s/early '90s hits such as "Seventeen" and "Can't Get Enough" would come to Knoxville twice in a short period of time?

Apparently, I couldn't get enough of him, either, and wanted to feel like I was seventeen all over again. Thursday night, I made my beeline to the Square Room to get some more. And many others had the same plan. One word from Kip: Groupies! {Laughter}

In my humble opinion, we're dedicated groupies who, for as long as we live, will always remember every word to every song...from "Easy Come, Easy Go" to "Headed for a Heartbreak," ...as well as a cover of "Just What I Needed," by the Cars.

(And I bet there was a woman there texting this message to another friend during the show: Kip is hot!)

It is at these acoustic shows lifetime fans learn a little bit more about Kip. Here are two pieces of Kip trivia: 

(1) He is not responsible for the lyrics "Her daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me."

(2) Although he played it Thursday night, "Rainbow in the Rose" is not one of his favorite songs. When he did play it, it was the best I had ever heard.

Those who were at the show last year remember when a guy in the audience got up and sang "Miles Away" with Kip. This time, a young woman got up and sang with him. All I can say is: Lionel Richie and Diana Ross, take the back seat. 

Now waiting for a show in 2019.




No comments:

Post a Comment