Friday, December 5, 2014

Attack CD-Disciple






 To have the CD named Attack is one thing.  It's another when there are complementary song titles, as if it's a thesaurus or a commentary for Christian rock.  In O God Save Us All, we had "Unstoppable," and "Outlaws."  Attack, in addition to common song titles like "Crazy" and "Unbroken," has "Radical," "Dead Militia," and "Kamikaze."

Compared to O God Save Us All, there are tempo changes in some of the songs, keeping listeners guessing.  Many of them have a simultaneous musical and lyrical difference, may have some inconsistent moments, as heard in "Lion" and "Yesterday is Over."  The one that had me guessing-I had to check to see if it was the same song-was "Radical."  Nonetheless, I appreciate the complementary themes in both parts of that song.

And the powerful "It's the size of the fight in the dog" messages in the songs are still there.

What never ceases to amaze me about Kevin Young is his choice of lyrics.  Perhaps as a writer, I notice the profound poetic Christian hard rock lyrics. My favorite is "Unbroken":  "every breath is cold as ice, but the fire will never die."  Others worth pointing out are "raping my mind," "straitjacket symphony," and some mention of surgery (I couldn't get the exact wording of it).  Furthermore, in "Scarlet," he rhymed it with harlot.

And he doesn't just sing "Emmanuel" of "Jesus" in "The Name," or "Insane" in "Crazy"-he screams it! Regarding the former, that was the first time I could recall "Emmanuel" being screamed, not to mention the JESUS, JESUS...then at the end "Jesus-there's just something about that name, it takes our breath away."  I consider this song an outgrowth of "I Just Know."  So, next time I see that poster that has all the names of Jesus, I think I'll scream them out of love not only for our Savior, but for Disciple.

There's also something to be said in how some things are sung.  It speaks volumes of pain, hurt, and passion.  I'll mention two:  "I don't care if they drag me off in chains, no power of hell can shake my faith" in "The Name," and "my hands have been an enemy of God" in "Scarlet."  "Nothing can tear [or break] us apart" in "Angels and Demons"-a great way to sing about the inseparable relationship with Jesus.  Of course, it's not surprising that Kevin screams part of that.  I also noticed the whisper/twister contrast in "Crazy."

Another aspect of Young's lyrics is the overall theme of the song, such as "Kamikaze," which is about offense.  It reminds me of many of Love & Death's song in Between Here and Lost.  My personal favorite is in "The Right Time."  Nothing in particular stands out about it, but I consider it a "but God" song.

And once again, Disciple makes a killer CD!





No comments:

Post a Comment