Wednesday, December 31, 2014

It's Bright in Here!

I can't remember the last time I heard a really truthful and sincere love song.  It must have been sometime before 2000.

But then along comes Scott Van Slyke of Cleburne, Texas, as It's Bright in Here!  He has a two-song EP that includes a very deep, meaningful song called "Just a Reminder" . 

http://www.reverbnation.com/itsbrightinhere

Only I don't imagine this song as one to slow-dance to.  I see it as a making-out song after a fight, a misunderstanding.  Scott's strong lyrics set it above the standard of the pretty boy-type love songs, which, to me, are superficial, especially compared to Scott's songs.  Four beautiful words:  Our souls are intertwined.

"The Long Way Home," another great love song, with even greater music!  That's the first time I've heard the state of Maryland mentioned in a song.  That the first verse is about being on the road reminds me of "Faithfully," by Journey.  And unlike Airheads, the song was written just as much for him as it is for her.

Exemplary music from someone who played drums and sang the scream-o vocals for Deaf Angel, a metal core back from Ft. Worth, Texas.



No comments:

Post a Comment