Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Steel Panther at the International





One of the lessons I have learned is, peer pressure never goes away.  It just comes in different forms throughout life till you're in the grave.  

From the moment I heard about Steel Panther, and saw pictures of them, of their clearer-than-mud glam rock image, and finding out then about their lyrics saturated with racy humor about life in the hard rock music scene, I needed to see this for myself.  It seemed like everyone in my music circle had heard of them, heard their music, and even seen them live at least once.  Being a lifetime glam rock music fan, I felt left out, as if my life, and the relationships I have developed with like-minded people over the years, wouldn't be complete until I saw Steel Panther.

But I missed the first chance about two years ago due to a prior commitment.  I didn't want to blow off the second chance--last night at the International in Knoxville.  Best of all, this was part of their Lower the Bar tour.

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and indoor

Opening up for Steel Panthers was Citizen Zero of Detroit.  

Displaying 20170418_200919.jpg

As goes any band opening up for big act, they're up against a lot, not the least of which is the high likelihood of playing to a scarce or bored audience.  Assuming Citizen Zero had never rocked Knoxville,they nailed it in breaking this barrier.  In addition to their music sounding so even and tight, Josh LeMay engaged the audience by telling them to act like it was Saturday and not Tuesday; that alone spoke volumes to me. But he went further in saying he wished he could buy everyone there a drink.  With that said, I will raise my own glass to their awesome cover of "Stranglehold".  

Displaying 20170418_200834.jpg

Displaying 20170418_200429.jpg

By the time Citizen Zero exited the stage, there was a packed house of glam rock fans, everyone almost literally cheek to cheek.  It is not uncommon for venues to play music prior to the show and between sets.  I consider it appropriate that "Shout at the Devil" was played almost in its entirety before Steel Panther came on, followed by "I Love it Loud," by KISS.

Displaying 20170418_205220.jpg

Displaying 20170418_210621.jpg

Then, the moment came.  Steel Panthers, in all their glam rock glory, (literally) strutted onto the stage.  It was then that I easily got wrapped up in and thoroughly educated on how Michael Starr was an "overweight Bret Michaels" when the guys first met him.  It was a night of unashamedly leaving all boundaries at the front door.  Then, also to have the band change their minds about how Michael Starr is an "overweight Vince Neil."

Displaying 20170418_212530_HDR.jpg

Displaying 20170418_214505.jpg

One thing is for sure:  It takes a certain person to appreciate, to get, this humor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment